Comparative Political Economy
Phone: (541) 737-6243
Office: 300B Gilkey
- ECON 435/535: The Public Economy
- PS 341: Politics of Western Europe and the European Union
- PS 449/549: Topics in Comparative Politics
- SOC 516: Conducting Social Research
- PPOL 622: Advanced Policy Analysis (Panel Modeling)
Areas of Interest
- Political Economy and Comparative Politics
- Public Economics and the Public Sector
- European Economic and Political Integration
- Higher Education Policy
- Comparative Politics of Sectoral Labor Markets
- Industrial Relations
- PhD, European Political Economy, London School of Economics and Political Science, 2011
- MSc (Research), European Political Economy, London School of Economics and Political Science, 2007
- BSc & BA, Economics, European Studies, and Swedish Studies, University of Washington, 2005
- 2011 - Present, Assistant Professor, Department of Political Science, Oregon State University
- 2008- 2011, Graduate Teaching Instructor, Department of Mathematics, University College London
- 2007-2008, Researcher in Higher Education Finance, Russell Group of Universities, London, UK
Select Publications (with replication files only)
- Hamann, K., Johnston AL, Katsanidou, A., Kelly, J., and Pollock, P. (forthcoming, 2015) “Sharing the Rewards but Dividing the Costs?: The Electoral Consequences of Social Pacts and Legislative Reform in Western Europe” West European Politics.
- Johnston AL, Hancké, R, and Pant, S. (forthcoming, 2015) “Comparative Institutional Advantage in Europe’s Sovereign Debt Crisis”. Comparative Political Studies. 48(6)
- Hamann, K., Johnston, AL, and Kelly, J. (Forthcoming, 2013) "Striking Concessions from Governments: Explaining the Success of General Strikes in Western Europe, 1980-2009." Comparative Politics.
- Kelly, J., Hamann, K., and Johnston AL. (Forthcoming, 2013) “Unions Against Governments: Explaining General Strikes in Western Europe, 1980-2006”. Comparative Political Studies. Vol. 46(9)
- Johnson AL, and Barr, N. (forthcoming 2013) "Student Loan Reform, Interest Subsidies and Costly Technicalities: Lessons from the UK Experience," Journal of Higher Education Policy and Management. Vol. 35.
- Johnston AL (2012) “European Economic and Monetary Union's Perverse Effects on Sectoral Wage Inflation: Negative Feedback Effects from Institutional Change?”. European Union Politics. Vol. 13, No. 3: 345-366.