Crimes In Progress
- Emergencies: 7-7000 or 541-737-7000
- Non-Emergencies: 7-3010 or 541-737-3010
Crimes in Progress Checklist
- Move to a safe location.
- Call Police with a description of the suspect/vehicle, however, don't put yourself at risk trying to get indentifing information.
- Do not interfere with the persons committing the crime.
- Meet with the police when they arrive.
- Don't attempt to apprehend or interfere with the criminal except in case of self-protection.
- If safe to do so, attempt to get a good description of the criminal. If the criminal is entering a vehicle, note the license number, make, model, color and any outstanding characteristics of the vehicle.
- Call the Oregon State Police at 7-7000 or 541-737-7000.
- Give your name, location and department. Advise the dispatcher of the situation and remain where you are until contacted by authorities.
- In the event of a civil disturbance, after you've contacted the Department of Public Safety Dispatch at 7-7000 or 541-737-7000, 7-3010 or 541-737-3010, continue as much as possible with your normal routine. If the disturbance is outside, stay away from doors and windows.
- Don't interfere with those persons creating the disturbance or with the authorities on the scene.
- While officers are enroute, stay calm and fill out this form before discussing the details with anyone.
- In the event of a robbery, don't resist.
- If you observe a crime or are a victim, report the following immediately by calling the Oregon State University Department of Public Safety Dispatch at 7-7000 or 541-737-7000, 7-3010 or 541-737-3010 and give the following information:
- Location of incident.
- Describe the person (clothing and physical features).
- Observe the person's direction of travel and vehicle description.
- While the authorities are enroute, stay calm, fill out this form before discussing the details with anyone.
Crime Prevention Tips
- Remember to lock your living quarters, office and vehicle whenever you leave.
- Avoid walking or jogging in poorly lit areas.
- Engrave your Driver's License number on all valuables. Keep a record of all credit card numbers and serial numbers for all personal property.
- Avoid leaving keys in the ignition and valuables on the seat. Lock all valuables, CB radio, stereo equipment, camera, brief case, etc. in the trunk if possible.