Crimes In Progress
Police Phone Numbers
Crimes in Progress Check List
- Move to a safe location.
- Call Police with a description of the suspect/vehicle.
- Do not interfere with the persons committing the crime.
- Meet with the police when they arrive.
- Do not attempt to apprehend or interfere with the criminal except in case of self-protection.
- If safe to do so, attempt to get a good description of the criminal. If the criminal is entering a vehicle, note the license number, make, model, color and outstanding characteristics of the vehicle.
- Call the Oregon State Police at 7-7000.
- Give your name, location, and department. Advise the dispatcher of the situation, and remain where you are until contacted by authorities.
- In the event of a civil disturbance, after you have contacted the Department of Public Safety Dispatch 7-7000 or 7-3010, continue as much as possible with your normal routine. If the disturbance is outside, stay away from doors and windows.
- Do not interfere with those persons creating the disturbance, or with the authorities on the scene.
- While officers are enroute, stay calm and fill out the form below before discussing the details with anyone.
- In the event of a robbery, do not resist.
- If you observe a crime or are a victim, report the following immediately by calling the Oregon State University Department of Public Safety Dispatch 7-7000 or 7-3010 and give the following information:
- Location of incident
- Describe the person (clothing and physical features)
- Observe the person's direction of travel and vehicle description.
- While the authorities are enroute, stay calm, write down all the information that you can remember before discussing the details with anyone.
Crime Prevention Tips
- Remember to lock your living quarters, office and vehicle whenever you leave.
- Avoid walking or jogging in poorly lighted areas.
- Engrave your Driver's License number on all valuables. Keep a record of all credit card numbers and the serial numbers on all personal property.
- When walking at night to the parking lot, have your keys and whistle ready. If you need to get into your vehicle quickly to avoid trouble or attract someone's attention for help, valuable time will not be wasted searching for these items.
- Avoid leaving keys in the ignition, and valuables on the seat. Lock all valuables, CB radio, stereo equipment, camera, brief case, in the trunk if possible.
REPORT THE SUSPICIOUS AND UNUSUAL
BE ALERT, BE OBSERVANT - Features which you can remember regarding the physical characteristics of the suspicious person or assailant can greatly assist the authorities in the apprehension.